Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP maximum-path

rmujeeb81
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I required your comments on a scenario of multihoming to a single provider.RouterA have 2 links with upstream provider and using maximum-path command to install more than 1 path in routing table for a prefix learned from both eBGP sessions.RouterA have iBGP session with RouterB also in its AS, now my question is that when I check BGP table for a prefix ( suppose 11.11.0.0 /16 ) at RouterB then it shows next hop ip address of its peer i.e RouterA although I am not using nexthop-self command on RouterA.Is this behaviour is due to maximum-path command ??

Regards,

Mujeeb

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mujeeb,

You are correct. In this scenario, the next-hop-self is set to self by router A because "maximum-paths" is configured and as a result of that multiple BGP paths are installed in the RIB.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

danail-petrov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mujeeb,

because of iBGP protocol ,the next-hop attribute is the IP address of the iBGP peer. If you setup another iBGP session between routerB and another routerC, the router C will receive announce for this prefix (11.11.0.0/16) with next-hop address of router A. Check this out:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/bgp.htm#wp1020610

hope that helps!

BR,

Danail Petrov

Danail,

Router B would not advertise 11.11.0.0/16(learned from eBGP peers) to RouterC b/c of split horizon. As far as Mujeeb's issue is concerned i also have noticed that RouterB would show next-hop to Router A for prefix 11.11.0.0/16 if & only if maximum path 2 is defined on Router A without using next-hop-self.

Regards,

Akhtar

Danail,

i also have attached the topology, please check that.

Akhtar

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mujeeb,

You are correct. In this scenario, the next-hop-self is set to self by router A because "maximum-paths" is configured and as a result of that multiple BGP paths are installed in the RIB.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: