cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Multi-home at different Data Centers

pepechingon
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on a multi-home design accross two datacenters. We have an ARIN assigned /24 public space and a single AS#. We would like to carve up the /24 to be used in both DCs. Of course our ISPs will only accept a /24 as a minimum advertisement. Is there are way acomplish BGP redundancy and still split the /24 into two /25 to be used at each DC? From what I am reading we can use AS prepend, but will that work if I only prepend a /25? It hasn't worked on the lab.

Thanks in advance.

ISP1                    ISP2

|                         |

|          BGP        |

DC1<------------------>DC2

/25                          /25

PAT-->FW                 FW<--PAT

CORE                  CORE

16 Replies 16

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

You could carve up the /24 internaly if you still advertise it as /24. What's the goal of the design, one DC is primary and one DC is purely secondary? There should be no load sharing?

You would need BGP between the DCs. How far is it between them? Would it be acceptable to receive traffic for DC1 coming via DC2? That's the issue you will have if you don't have larger address space. So the traffic would be sent over BGP between the DCs. Even if you do AS prepending or setting MED or communities etc there is no guarantee that you won't receive incoming traffic on DC2 even when DC1 is up.

You could do some form of BGP conditional advertisements or use IP SLA, EEM and so on but it's your choice if you consider that to be an acceptable design.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

The question Daniel brought up is a good one. Is this for load sharing, or redundancy?

If your ISP is only going to accept a minimum of /24, then obviously you can't advertise out the two /25 subnets of the /24.

So let's say you assigne 100.0.0.0/25 to DC-A and 100.0.0.128/25 to DC-B. If I buy a Web Server from you so to speak, and have a website called www.awesomesauce.com, which points to that webserver, then from the Internet's point of view, it's most likely going to frst find the larger block of that space, tha your ISP is announcing most likely like a /21 or /22. And depending on how big the ISP is, it might be part of another ISPs larger block.

Also, depending on how the AS_PATH or other attributes, one ISP may be considered better than the other, so to get to 100.0.0.200, may always go to DC-A, and then if there is a link to DC-B (I would assume), it would go to DC-B then the Webserver at 100.0.0.200. This would obviously be suboptimal routing.

I honstly don't think there is a good way to do this, without causing any weird issues.

The only way would be to configure routing fo the /25s ont he CE going to the PE equipment, for the respective /25 network.

pepechingon
Level 1
Level 1

Thnks for the input. This is for redundancy, but we would like to use the address space on both DCs. In a way we want to use it as active/active and for redundancy. Each DC has different traffic, and we only want it failover in case of an ISP failure, but we also want to utilize the IP space at both locations.
There will be iBGP between both routers. I was thinking of doing PBR on incoming traffic for each /25 and AS prepend for outgoing routes. Will this even work? Is it a good design?

Thanks!

Thanks for the input Jose.

Jose, is this provider independent space or provider provided address space? And, since from my understanding, (correct me if I'm wrong), you want for example, DC-A gets 100.0.0.0/25 and DC-B gets 100.0.0.128/25. This is going to be hard to do both.

If you advertise out the /24 from both Datacenter routers, incoming traffic is going to match a /24 and not a /25, so if someone wants to get to 100.0.0.200, which is at DC-B, and you have AS_PATH prepending on the 100.0.0.0/24 going out of DC-B, it's going to goin at DC-A, and then if it has iBGP between them both, to DC-B, which would work, but would be suboptimal if you get what I"m saying.

Now, if you have network devices in the 100.0.0.128/25 range, then you could configure a default route, etc etc, so if it's at DC-B to go OUT at DC-B.

Also, are you going to be accepting the full Internet table or a default route?

John,

This is independent address space. We will be receiving only default routes, so for outgoing traffic everything should flow properly. My concern is incoming traffic. I am ok with some traffic going over the iBGP connection between the two routers, but I would like for the preffered path for incoming trafffic to be the correct DC.

Does this make sense?

Thanks for  your help!

You said that you have different services though. So maybe some services are primary in DC1 and some are primary in DC2? That wouldn't work. If you want to all traffic for that /24 to go primarily to DC1 then you should be able to do that but there are no guarantees. Hopefully you will not receive too much traffic to the "wrong" DC.

Have you looked into if your ISPs support communities? If they do you can usually set a community so that they will prepend their AS. There are also usually traffic engineering stuff like, do not announce to Europe, do not announce to US, only announce to peers and things like that. Might be worth looking into as well.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Another option could be some kind of Layer2 extension between DCs (OTV).

Edison,

Unfortunately OTV is not an option for us.

That makes complete sense, jose, I'm just not sure how you can actually do they in your current enviornment.

The only way I can think of is that traffic to DC-B will mostlikely be going from DC-A to iBGP link between them, o DC-B, and then routed appropriately.

How fast will the iBGP link be between datacenters?

John,

The link between both DCs is a 1gig connection.

1. I would then, advertise out of DC-B the /24, but with AS_PATH prepend, to make sure it's not used as the primary link.

2. I would have all traffic, going to the CE router at DC-A, and then have routing setup for the /25 for DC-B to go over the iBGP link, and into that CE.

3. If the ISP at DC-A goes down, it will get to the /24 advertised out of DC-B, and be able to go from that CE router, and then have routing setup to go to the /25 at DC-A

4. If you have network devices at DC-B, they can still be used, and get Internet access going out DC-B (obviously) but return traffic will be asymetric, so you may have to tune your firewalls.

Since you can't do OTV, and or advertise out /25 from each DC, I think that design is your best choice unless someone else has something different.

John,

I think that may be my only option, but thinking through the failure scenarios, if the 1Gig link goes down traffic to DC2 would be blacked holed. I may have to go ARIN and ask for more space.

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

As mentioned i  think prepend is the way forward. For example, you have the Class C Subnet  (1.1.1.0/24), and you are advertising this subnet through both ISPs and prepending it on ISP used as redundant link to look worse,  or maybe you could  Spilit the Subnet and advertise more specific Subnet our your primary ISP to look better from the Internet a /25 out your primary link and less specific out your backup to give you the required redundancy you need.

Francisco,

The problem with this is that we cannot advertise /25 to any of our ISPs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: