Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP multihome with two isp's

mguzman4158
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have two ISP's for internet access and I want to set up bgp multihome for redundancy and be able to advertise a block of /24 public ip addresses through both ISP's.

Questions:

1. Do you think two 1811 routers with 256MB would be enough to do the job?

2. Can I avoid recieving the full routing table from both ISP's and still have redundancy?

3. Any configuration examples for my scenario would be greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much for your help....

Cheers!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

csco11142276
Level 1
Level 1

1). Do you think two 1811 routers with 256MB would be enough to do the job?

Depends upon your internet links BW, generally if it's 10Mbps or less 1841 will do the job.

2). Can I avoid recieving the full routing table from both ISP's and still have redundancy?

It is unlikely that you'll recieve full internet routing table, Your ISP would simply announce default route ( pointing to their internet gateway) in the BGP or another routing protocol table used between your internet router and their gateway or uplink device could be PE (depends how they are providing internet connectivity).

Try this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800945bf.shtml

Rate if this helps

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

As there's not enough room for explanations here, I would suggest you to read the configuration examples from Sam Halabi's Internet Routing Architectures:

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=157870233X

Cheers:

Istvan

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Large, medium or small site?

1811s are targeted for small sites with very little bandwidth demands. I'm assuming your ISP handoff is copper as the 1811 does not support any serial connection. You will find the 1811 maxing out at around 35Mbps

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

2. Can I avoid recieving the full routing table from both ISP's and still have redundancy?

To have redundancy, you need routes to compare. With a 1811, your only option is taking the default from the ISP. I don't think the 1811 will be able to take partial routes.

I'm afraid you need a more powerful router for this type of task.

__

Edison.

xcz504d1114
Level 4
Level 4

Other posters have answered this well.

Yes, but I would not do the filtering yourself, you can request from your ISP to only send you the default route. If you filter it yourself you still recieve the updates, and if soft configuration is configured, you will still store the entire internet routing table in memory, it just wont be inserted into the BGP routing table.

As someone already mentioned, that is a long conversation with a lot of "if's" and "and's".

HTH,

Craig

csco11142276
Level 1
Level 1

1). Do you think two 1811 routers with 256MB would be enough to do the job?

Depends upon your internet links BW, generally if it's 10Mbps or less 1841 will do the job.

2). Can I avoid recieving the full routing table from both ISP's and still have redundancy?

It is unlikely that you'll recieve full internet routing table, Your ISP would simply announce default route ( pointing to their internet gateway) in the BGP or another routing protocol table used between your internet router and their gateway or uplink device could be PE (depends how they are providing internet connectivity).

Try this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800945bf.shtml

Rate if this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card