Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Multihoming | CEF

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Experts

our organization is connected to two different ISPs , the 1st ciruit is 16 MB while the 2nd Circuit is 8 MB  both circuit are terminated in different routers underlying 2900 , the organization own an AS Number along with class C address  have gotten from RIPE since we r working in ME,i m advertising to Both ISPs while i receive a default route from both ISPs the question is can the load sharing occurs on both Link?i read an article mention its okay with CEF

thanks experts for sharing the info and consultancy

6 Replies 6

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You mean you have a device in your LAN

Connecting to those two edge routers and load share the outgoing traffic ?

If yes what is the device type/model ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Sorry, it's a bit unclear.  Both ISP links are on the same router or two different routers?  If the latter, how is (outbound) traffic directed to the two routers?

Whether one router or two, it's likely not too difficult to use both outbound links equally, but if you wanted to use them in proportional to their actual bandwidths, that might be possible too, but likely more complex.

Hi

is the outgoing traffic means traffic towards both ISP,from each router ,using BGP Local_Pref???

two edge router 2900 ,each has circuit towards the ISP

thanks

According to your requirments and since you have two different routers connected to two different ISP you can configure GLBP to unequally load balance the outgoing (uplink) traffic.

GLBP (Gateway load balancing Protocol) is configured to the LAN (similar to HSRP or VRRP).

You find furhter details ig you search with GLBP to cisco.com.

I can send you some relevant doc if you need

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

How is the traffic directed to the two 2900 (outbound)?  For example, are the local gateways (where Vasileios' GLBP solution might work for you) or are the connect to another router or routers?  Do they run iBGP and/or an IGP?

Hi Ibrahim,

please see below that might give you some help with BGP/multihoming .It also talks about load balancing as well

Let me know if anything is unclear here

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15352

HTH

Kishore

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco