cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

bgp multipath vs peering using loopback

tititech2007
Level 1
Level 1

What is the benefit of using bgp multipath versus using loopback while peering to the same ebgp neighbor with multiple path?

In my lab scenario, I have 2 routers (R1 and R2) connected to each other using fa0/0 and fa0/1.  I have the choice of peering using loopback with update source lo and ebgp multihop  or peering using the the physical interface (fa0/0 and fa0/1) with the command maximum-path (multpath) to achieve load balancing.

What is the main advantage of using multpath command versus using the loopback method?

3 Replies 3

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

-peering with loopbacks will only install one path in the RIB and the BGP session will not be torn if one link fails

-using multipath will install 2 paths for the prefix in the RIB and so CEF will do the load-sharing on both paths

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Alain

Just for your info.

There will only be one routing entry in the IP routing table but it will be a recursive route ie. the next hop will be the loopback which is reachable via both physical interfaces.

So the routing table will have one entry but CEF will resolve the recursive route and install two entries into the forwarding table one via each physical interface.

So it will actually use both links

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the info.

Regards

Alain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card