cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP - Network and neighbor commands confusion

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

If we have scenario of 4 routers (Figure 9-7 p420 Semester 5 book), RTA and RTD are directly connected to each other reside in AS3.

RTC in AS1 directly connected to RTA.

RTD in AS2 and directly connected to RTC.

To advertise routes via BGP which are directly connected to a RTD , and I want to use “network command” (There are other commands).

We have to type in these :

RTD(config-router) network 172.16.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0

---I omitted the other commands

Or we can write it like this

Router(config-router) network 172.16.0.0 ---without specifying mask , because it will take default.

I found that there are two routes, which are directly connected to RTA (not RTD) have been added as well to the RTD network command not as neighbor?

And in other Labs I have not seen the same thing has been done ?

What is the key point for that ?

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

As far as the advertisement of networks is concerned you can always configure the same in conjuntion with the optional mask paramater or without mentioning the mask parameter.

As per your config params it will announce as a whole /16 network to the upstream the same can be done with or without the mask option..

But in case if you want to announce a /19 network then comes the mask option using which you can configure up the same..

network 10.1.0.0 mask 255.255.224.0

regds

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks spremkumar.

What you have mentioned, I have got no confusion about that.

These are my queries :

I found that there are two routes, which are directly connected to RTA (not RTD) have been added as well to the RTD network command not as neighbor?

And in other Labs I have not seen the same thing has been done ?

What is the key point for that ?

Hi

As per your post RTA and RTD are in same AS nos which AS 3 and RTC in AS2 i feel theres some typo error in ur first post which states AS1 and AS2 both in RTC ..is it RTB instead which you have posted as RTC ??

Also the routes which you are talking about what kinda routes are that ? can u post them out if possible the configs too ?

regds

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

RTA and RTB (Previous was RTD, mistakly)reside in AS3.

RTC reside in AS1 and directly connected to RTA (AS1).

RTD reside in AS2, and directly connected to RTC (AS1).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco