Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP NextHop field

wuh
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I was reading CCIE R&S by Wendoll Odom about BGP Nexthop, see the diagram. It first gives a problem in this scenario, "R4's route to 30.0.0.0/8 through R2 lists R1 IP(1.1.1.1)....Unfortunately, R4 doesn't have a route for 1.1.1.1 on R1, so that route cannot be consider best by BGP."

I think R3 SHOULD HAVE a route to 1.1.1.1. why not?

thanks,

Han

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Han,

if IP subnet 1.1.1.0/30 is not advertised in iBGP or in an IGP R3 doesn't know about it.

R2 would pass the eBGP route with BGP next-hop = 1.1.1.1 unchanged.

possible solutions are:

advertising ip subnet 1.1.1.0/30 in iBGP with a network command on R2;

advertising ip subnet 1.1.1.0/30 in IGP with a network command on R2;

use of next-hop-self on R2 on session towards R3

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe

thanks first.

My understanding is that:

as long as R1 advertizes 1.1.1.0/30 to R2. R2 would pass it to all routers in its AS, right?

So, I'd think your condition wouldnt exist. "if IP subnet 1.1.1.0/30 is not advertised in iBGP or in an IGP R3 doesn't know about it. "

the subnet should always be advertised. unless R1 intetinally not to do it by disabling "network" command.

Correct me if I am wrong.

thanks,

Han

Hello Han,

the question is arised for all other prefixes that R1 can advertise to R2 on the eBGP session.

R1 would advertise ip subnet 1.1.1.0/30 with a BGP next-hop of 1.1.1.1, that cannot be installed in other routers in same AS of R2 because BGP next-hop is unknown.

it is a sort of dead lock: prefix 1.1.1.0/30 should be known to accept BGP next-hop 1.1.1.1.

R1 can eventually advertise 1.1.1.0/30 as you noted but BGP next-hop attribute will be 1.1.1.1.

This is not accepted as valid by R2 iBGP peers.

things are different if it is R2 to advertise 1.1.1.0/30.

R2 is not allowed to modify the BGP next-hop over the iBGP sessions unless next-hop-self is used.

I can tell you that this is one of the first problems I had when I started to work on BGP more then 10 years ago.

This is a real problem and not a theorical issue.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card