Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Over MPLS with Backup

Hi,

What considerations should be kept in mind when using BGP as the PE-CE Protocol.

I have a simple setup with a Main Site Connecting Regional Offices using MPLS as Primary and DXX (Leased line) as Backup.

I think I can modify the AS-Path to make the MPLS Cloud Primary and DXX as Backup

Any other thing I need to take care of ?

Thanks

Zeeshan

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Zeeshan,

first thing to look at:

you should have eBGP sessions on the MPLS L3 VPN service

what type of BGP sessions are going to run on backup?

iBGP sessions or eBGP sessions?

are the primary BGP session and the secondary BGP session configured on a single node or in two different routers?

if it is a single node and backup session is iBGP you should be fine with default settings because eBGP paths are preferred over iBGP paths.

if the two sessions are configured on two different nodes you need to increase local preference on device that terminates the primary eBGP session to have second node to prefer it over the secondary iBGP session.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

nishantmj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Zeeshan

In your case if you have MPLS bases link BGP neighborship will be with external AS , whereas for Leased link which you want to use as backup BGP neighbourship will be iBGP. In this case BGP will always choose the eBGP routes over iBGP routes. So, in your case u need not Modify anything.

Thanks

Nishant

Have nice day!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card