Cisco Support Community
Community Member

BGP peering causes 7200 to crash

I experience since a couple of days a very strange behaviour on our 2 access routers facing internet :

I have two 7204VXR with NPE-G2 and 1Gb of ram. One router has 2 eBGP peers and the other has 3. The routers receive all internet routes from the 5 peers and send 2 internal routes. There is an iBGP peering between both routers. On all peers I have a route-map to send only our routes.

All was working fine since a couple of months when I suddenly saw an increase of memory on one of the router (router B), 1 hour later the memory was 100% and router crash and reboot. The other router (router A) with the same hardware capacity, same ram and same amount of routes was working good. After router B restart, I shut all eBGP peering on it, keeping only iBGP with router A, ram used was the same as router A (about 50% used) but CPU was about 30% used by process Router BGP whereas router A which has active traffic and active eBGP is only 20% and bgp process i almost 0%. Restarting peers one by one on router B cause the same issue, increase of memory then crash, even with only one peer.

What I suspected :

- A peer on router B but I can't isolate one because the problem appears with each taken one by one

- Not enough memory,  but router A has the same number of routes and don't have any problem

- IOS version ? same on both 12.4.(15)T1

- Why process router BGP use 30% on router B when all eBGP peers are shut except iBGP and no traffic pass.

- A routing loop but I only send internal routes to peers and only have one iBGP session with no sync nor redistribution with an IGP

Of course I can't run any debu ip bgp on routers as the number of routes is very large (300K).

I would appreciate if you have any clue on what could be the cause.

Thanks in advance

Everyone's tags (6)
Cisco Employee

BGP peering causes 7200 to crash

If the router crashed please upload the crashinfo file.

CreatePlease to create content