Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

BGP prefix list .... need help

In BGP Student Guide version3.2 slide 3-54 you can find this example:

"Requirement: The ISP router will not accept routes with subnet masks longer than /24; subnet masks from class B address space will be no longer than /20."

This is accomplished with the following configuration:

neighbor CUSTOMER prefix-list peer in

!

ip prefix-list Peer seq 5 permit 128.0.0.0/2 le 20

ip prefix-list Peer seq 10 permit 0.0.0.0/0 le 24

What is the scope of the first prefix-list entry? Even if a class B route with a mask /22 is received it would be permitted by the second entry (seq #20)

The explanation provided by the slide is: "If the route is a class B network both lines match. Testing continues with checking the subnet mask. An upper bound is explicitly indicated , giving a maximum prefix lenght of 20 bits." ==>> I think this is really confusing....

Could someone explain that?

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: BGP prefix list .... need help

Marco,

You are correct.

The 2nd entry "ip prefix-list Peer seq 10 permit 0.0.0.0/0 le 24" allows any address class to be longer than /20.

You need to place a deny right after the sequence 5 to explicitly block any prefix longer than /20 for a Class B address space.

ip prefix-list Peer seq 6 deny 128.0.0.0/2 ge 21

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Thanks Edison

So it seems there is a mistake in the Student guide. Should I inform Cisco about that? I don't know if there are newer releases of that Course.

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

You should inform the author of the guide, not Cisco itself :)

The guide should contain the contact information and perhaps has a website were erratas can be posted.

__

Edison.

Views
Helpful
Replies