Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

BGP, Prefixes Current

Hello colleagues,

Can anyone explain what does "Prefixes Current: Sent Rcvd" in output of "show ip bgp neighbors A.B.C.D" really means?

For example:

I have an ASBR with several neighbors (uplinks),

and for each one I'm announcing about 30 prefixes. All outbound prefixes pass through route-map. When I type

"show ip bgp neighbors A.B.C.D" (A.B.C.D - p2p ip of neighbour)

I see 0 in "Prefixes Current: Sent" field, but actually I'm announcing 30 prefixes to my neighbour("show ip bgp neighbors A.B.C.D advertised-routes" confirms it).

Another example:

I have a BGP session on c2821 with my peering partner, and I'm announcing 50 prfixes to his network. All outbound prefixes pass through route-map. But again I can see in the output of "show ip bgp neighbors A.B.C.D" incorrect "Prefixes Current: Sent" value equal to only 10 prefixes! ("show ip bgp neighbors A.B.C.D advertised-routes" shows the correct number of advertised prefixes = 50).

So, what does the "Prefixes Current: Sent" means?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: BGP, Prefixes Current

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Hello Alex,

according to command reference of sh ip bgp neighbors command:

Prefixes current

Number of prefixes accepted for this address family.

Total:

Prefixes total

Total number of received prefixes.

Check if there are route filters on the local node and on the peers that could explain what you see

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Community Member

Hello giuslar,

Yes, there are some route filters to outbound announces on my side, but as you can see at screenshot "show ip bgp neighbors A.B.C.D advertised-routes" shows that there are 24 prefixes, that are no fall within the filter-list and these prefixes are announced to neighbor A.B.C.D. I have access to my neighbor's router, so I can see that the router A.B.C.D recieves these 24 prefixes.

But why " Prefix activity: Sent" shows me 0 instead of 24?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content