Helpful
Replies

BGP problem on old 7200non-VXR

martinkluge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a small problem on an old 7200non-VXR:

I have two BGP sessions from R1 to R2 and R3. I advertise some networks but get no routes back (not enough RAM for a full table). So I have two default routes from R1 to R2 and to R3 (higher metric on the default route to R3). The problem is, if R2 dies, the default route still points to R2. I don't have access to R2 or R3 so getting a default route injected via BGP isn't possible. Route tracking is also not a possibility as route tracking isn't supported on 12.2 (which is the last release which runs on 7200nonVXR). So any other ideas?

Thank you,

Martin

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I suggest trying this approach in a lab.

Create a route-map

route-map internet 10

set ip next-hop R2

set ip next-hop verify-availability

route-map internet 20

set ip next-hop R3

set ip next-hop verify-availability

at the ingress interface

interface f0/0

ip policy route-map internet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/iproute/command/reference/1rfindp2.html#wpxref18681

Let us know how it works out.

Hi,

thank you for your answer. But I still have a question. If I understand the "set ip next-hop verify-availability" command correctly, it requires that CDP is enabled on R1, R2 and R3. Is this correct? The problem is, that R2 and R3 are non-cisco routers and do not support CDP.

Thank you,

Martin

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

are you able to get any prefix from the R2 and R3?

If yes, why not to try using ip default-network command?

see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/iproute/command/reference/ip2_i1g.html#wp1037313

BR,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: