cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP - Recommend a Good Book

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

Can anyone recommed a good book that explains BGP in depth?

The only I can find is Sam Halabi's "Internet Routing Architectures, 2nd Edition," but this book was published in 2000.

Thanks in advance.

Mohamad

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

..and it's still considered the bible. You don't need any other book, don't be concerned that was written in 2000.

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

Yes, I agree. This is a great book. BGP has not changed that much since then. The core ideas are the same. I read this book in 5 days at work (I could not put it down). It can help you understand what routing in the Internet (and in general) means. After you read this, you might go after "BGP Design and Implementation" by Randy Zhang and Micah Bartell. Also consider "Cisco ISP Essentials" by Barry Raveendran Greene and Philip Smith for further reading, depending on your requirements.

I concur with Maria and Edison. This book is still very current to learn the basics of BGP.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

thats a great book if you are looking for "in-depth BGP". I have that in my shelf plus "BGP - Beijnum (O'REILLY)" and "CCIE Professional Development: Cisco BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook - Parkhurst (Cisco Press)"

Hi,

Practical BGP by Russ White, Danny McPherson, Sangli Srihari published in 2004 in Addison Wesley is also a good one.

BGP chapter in "Routing TCP/IP vol 2" by Jeff Doyle can work for basics.

I also heard John Stewart's "BGP4: Inter-Domain Routing on the Internet" (Addison-Wesley 1998)was a short but very good book - but not read it myself.

BR,

Milan

11 Replies 11

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

..and it's still considered the bible. You don't need any other book, don't be concerned that was written in 2000.

__

Edison.

Yes, I agree. This is a great book. BGP has not changed that much since then. The core ideas are the same. I read this book in 5 days at work (I could not put it down). It can help you understand what routing in the Internet (and in general) means. After you read this, you might go after "BGP Design and Implementation" by Randy Zhang and Micah Bartell. Also consider "Cisco ISP Essentials" by Barry Raveendran Greene and Philip Smith for further reading, depending on your requirements.

I concur with Maria and Edison. This book is still very current to learn the basics of BGP.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

thats a great book if you are looking for "in-depth BGP". I have that in my shelf plus "BGP - Beijnum (O'REILLY)" and "CCIE Professional Development: Cisco BGP-4 Command and Configuration Handbook - Parkhurst (Cisco Press)"

Regarding the BGP configuration handbook: I ordered this recently out of curiosity and it has been delivered to me a couple of days ago. I do not normally read books that are equivalent to command references from cisco (since the documentation is more current and this handbook got published back in 2001), but sometimes the book title is misleading (as is the case of an MPLS book with a similar title). I obviously haven't read it yet. From a first look, I think its usefulness is somewhat limited compared to the Halabi book. BGP is not just knowing the command about how to do something. In most cases it is more about having a global understanding, which is natural since this is a global network we are talking about. I think it is better to obtain this understanding first. After you do this you can use handbooks and command references for particular scenarios, and it will actually be easier. If you just focus on the tree, you will miss the forest, and you will keep wondering in many cases about the "why's".

Hi,

Practical BGP by Russ White, Danny McPherson, Sangli Srihari published in 2004 in Addison Wesley is also a good one.

BGP chapter in "Routing TCP/IP vol 2" by Jeff Doyle can work for basics.

I also heard John Stewart's "BGP4: Inter-Domain Routing on the Internet" (Addison-Wesley 1998)was a short but very good book - but not read it myself.

BR,

Milan

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I thought Russ is EIGRP & Design expert but he is also in the BGP field...

Has any one ordered or read "BGP Design & implementation" Book? Does Cover Large Scale BGP and Design Scenarios?

Regards,

Mohamed

Mohamed,

Yes, this book is quite advanced. I have not read all of it, but I am planning to complete it soon. Consider also the ISP Essentials I mentioned earlier. The word "essentials" doesn't mean there is not useful information in it. I think it fits your interests so far :-)

Kind Regards,

Maria

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Maria,

It doesnt fit my interrest, and I don't need "ISP Essential" book.

I asked about that book cause i was planning for CCDE along with my Master degree as soon as i sort my issues out.

HTH

Mohamed

Ok then, I must have misunderstood. Good luck with your goals!

Thanks a lot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card