Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP - redistribute connected

Jasonch518_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there any downside to using redistribute connected in a full mesh BGP environment, when OSPF is used as the IGP?

Reason I need to use redistribute connected is because of the few hundred VLAN interfaces I have on my 6500s, and did not want to put individual network statements for them all of course.

I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced problems with doing that, since it will put your point to point links and loopbacks into the BGP table, and those networks are the only networks in my OSPF table, for next hop reachability.

Thanks for any input.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jason,

be aware that iBGP will propagate updates there are not going to be used for their higher AD (200) in comparison to OSPF (110) = to be not installed in the routing table.

I would decide to use a route filter and to redistribute in BGP ip subnets that represent services / clients and would keep in OSPF all the infrastructure links and loopbacks.

In this way you can minimize OSPF database and make effective usage of iBGP as a way to provide scalability.

This is common practice in service provider environments or big entreprise.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for the input from both of you.  I think I will go with the filter to deny the routes that I do not want to have in my BGP table, since they will already be in OSPF, aka the infrastructure links.

Jason.

celiocarreto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would use summary-routes and put them into IGP via

ip route x.x.x.x y.y.y.y Null 0

in BGP now only few of network satements can be used.

Regards, Celio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card