cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

bgp redistribute-internal

philipsyao
Level 1
Level 1

Please correct me if I'm wrong. If i use the following commands, the following actions are supposed to happen:

1. The iBGP is allowed to be redistributed into OSPF

2. Because of the route-map, only the route to 131.189.0.0/16 will be redistributed into OSPF

3. I can use "clear ip bgp soft" command to make the redistribute-internal command effective without resetting the BGP session.

what may be the other potential negative results?

router bgp 111

bgp redistribute-internal

router ospf 222

redistribute bgp 111 subnets route-map aaa

route-map aaa permit 10

match ip address prefix-list ToSomewhere

ip prefix-list ToSomewhere seq 10 permit 130.190.0.0/16

5 Replies 5

network.king
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

The impact may be high if you make any mistake in the route-map , it would bring down ur entire IGP as you might have many routes in all your routers learnt via Ibgp .

( Just think of entire internet routes getting installed into IGP ... IGP is not designed to handle this much )

Hope this helps.

regards

vanesh k

According to my configuration, only the route to network 130.190.0.0/16 will be redistributed into OSPF, am I right?

Hi

Yes , but take care while doing any modification to route-map as you would see " dangerous " in the command itself.

regards

vanesh k

Thanks a lot.

After I make the change, should I use "clear ip bgp *" to take it in effect? or I can use "clear ip bgp xx.xx.xx.xx soft" to affect only the neighbor from which I get the route?

The side-effect will be minimized by doing this.

I dont think you need a clear ip BGP as you are basically redistributing BGP traffic into OSPF.

After redistributing if you do not see the route in the OSPF database, you might try a clear ip ospf redistribution and check

HTH

Narayan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card