Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

BGP Redundant Links

I want to setup the network that I attached in a way that ALL internet traffic uses the BGP connection of ISP 1 unless it becomes unavailable then i want all traffic to flow to ISP 2.  Can I use Conditional BGP Routing or is there an easier way?

Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

BGP Redundant Links

For outbound it's easy. Run iBGP between R1 and R2. Set local preference on prefixes coming ISP1 or which one is preferred. R2 will then go through R1 to exit the network.

For inbound it is a bit more complex, you can try to prepend on the secondary or preferably check if your ISP supports communties and tag the routes with communities. The ISP will then prepend for you or set a lower local preference in their network.

There is no fool proof way though of always getting traffic in via R1. What's the background for using this setup?

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib CCIE #37149 Please rate helpful posts.
1 REPLY
Silver

BGP Redundant Links

For outbound it's easy. Run iBGP between R1 and R2. Set local preference on prefixes coming ISP1 or which one is preferred. R2 will then go through R1 to exit the network.

For inbound it is a bit more complex, you can try to prepend on the secondary or preferably check if your ISP supports communties and tag the routes with communities. The ISP will then prepend for you or set a lower local preference in their network.

There is no fool proof way though of always getting traffic in via R1. What's the background for using this setup?

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib CCIE #37149 Please rate helpful posts.
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content