cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP route advertisement

r.candeloza
Level 1
Level 1

hi to all! I'm a newbie at BGP, i would really appreciate some help....

Here is my scenario: i have a edge router that connects to an ISP.  but this isp is sending me full routes that causes my router to experience high CPU utilization.  Ihave requested the ISP to send me just the default route. but after the change at ISP im no longer receiving any routes/prefix and the ISP also told me that my router is not sending and route advertisements.

I have attached the logs taken before and after the change and my router configuration.

thanks in advance.

Rachelle

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

r.candeloza wrote:

hi to all! I'm a newbie at BGP, i would really appreciate some help....

Here is my scenario: i have a edge router that connects to an ISP.  but this isp is sending me full routes that causes my router to experience high CPU utilization.  Ihave requested the ISP to send me just the default route. but after the change at ISP im no longer receiving any routes/prefix and the ISP also told me that my router is not sending and route advertisements.

I have attached the logs taken before and after the change and my router configuration.

thanks in advance.

Rachelle

Rachelle

Can you post config of router after change or did you not make any changes ?

Jon

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Rachelle,

Remember to avoid posting sensitive information to the site (passwords, etc) in any form (encrypted or not).

Regarding your advertisements towards your ISP, remember, besides your network or (redistribute + static) statements, to check if any filters you have in the OUT direction (prefix-lists, etc) of you BGP session permit all the networks you would like to announce. If you made any changes to those filters, you might need to clear the BGP session softly in the OUT direction for the networks to get through.

Regarding the networks that your ISP sends to you, if you do not have any filters in the IN direction of your BGP session, then it is the responsibility of your ISP to originate those networks and send them towards your side. If however at any point you applied IN filters to reduce the impact of receiving full routes, check those filters as well. In such a case you might need to clear the session in the IN direction (or ask the ISP to clear their OUT direction) in order to receive the default route from the ISP.

Kind Regards,

Maria

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card