cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP route-map and prefix-list at the same time

raybelleville
Level 1
Level 1

What I am trying to accomplish is to use a route-map to apply a more generic policy to all my BGP customers (set routing attributes based on advertised communities for example, set communities for internal use, etc) and then apply a prefix list to limit the actual prefixes we exchange with a customer. I'm trying to avoid writing a long route-map for each customer that connects to us with a unique match ip prefix-list statement in each sequence, when in reality I need to apply a more global policy, and just limit which prefixes are exchanged once this global policy is applied.

Is this something that is possible in the 7600 series chassis? I know other vendors allow for multiple route-map statements to be applied to the same peer with the result on one, passed into the other, but I do not see this capability in the 7600.

I see that I can apply a route-map and a prefix-list at the same time, but the documentation I see lists an order of preference if both are applied. Does this mean that one 1 action is taken, or will this function as I've described above?

unfortunately, I don't habe a good lab that will allow me to test this, so hoping this is a known answer by someone, or someone has done/can do this in a lab really quickly.

2 Replies 2

leandro.brito
Level 1
Level 1

It worked for me:

router bgp 200

no synchronization

bgp log-neighbor-changes

network x.x.x.x mask 255.255.255.255     (network you want to distribute)

neighbor y.y.y.y remote-as 333

neighbor y.y.y.y description site-information

neighbor y.y.y.y ebgp-multihop 2

neighbor y.y.y.y timers 10 30

neighbor y.y.y.y next-hop-self

neighbor y.y.y.y soft-reconfiguration inbound

neighbor y.y.y.y route-map INBOUNDCONTROL  in

neighbor y.y.y.y route-map OUTBOUNDCONTROL out

route-map OUTBOUNDCONTROL permit 10

match ip address prefix-list ACLOUT

!

route-map INBOUNDCONTROL permit 10

match ip address prefix-list ACLIN

ip prefix-list ACLOUT seq 1 permit w.w.w.w/32

ip prefix-list ACLIN seq 1 permit k.k.k.k.k/32

In this example (configured on a 6509) - there's a route-map and a prefix-list filtering all routing information between this device and neighbor y.y.y.y (inbound and outbound).

It's working perfect for us!! Check if it help you!!

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ray,

IOS allows you to use the "continue" statement in a route-map to achieve the behavior with some other vendors you were referring to.

Please refer to the following document for more details and examples.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bgp/configuration/15-mt/irg-route-map-continue.html

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco