cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Route Reflector Route Filtering Question

efairbanks
Level 1
Level 1

Within a closed network, we have a single hub BGP route reflector server and several remote RR client routers. Each remote RR client router propagates both its physically connected subnet and a static null route that represents a NAT pool configured on the inbound interface to the RR server. All hosts connected to the RR server must communicate with hosts behind the RR clients using the NATd subnet. All hosts behind all RR clients must communicate with one another using their native IPs.

I need to be able to filter the remote physical IP space out of the RR server's routing table, while at the same time filter the NATd subnets out of routing updates propagated to the RR clients and to ensure they receive remote RR client?s native IP space. Is there a way I can do this? When I implement a distribute list in on the RR server, it successfully filters out the remote native IP space, but also filters the native subnets out of the updates sent down to RR clients. In effect, the RR client is only receiving the NATd subnet which I only want the server to have. I understand that I could BGP peer them in a full mesh to accomplish this, but I would like to use RRs to keep things scalable. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

1 Reply 1

I don't think you can accomplish what you are trying to do with the existing RR configuration. When the route doesn't exist the routing table the RR server wouldn't reflect the route to the RR clients that it learned from another client. Hence, distribute list on the RR server isn't an option. You can use confederations instead of RR to work around this problem or make IBGP fully meshed.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card