Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP - Router with two neighbors

rpinon
Level 1
Level 1

Need some help here,

I have one router with two BGP neighbors, both in same AS. Using a prefix-list, I need to distribute some of the routes learned from one neighbor onto another. All prefix-list, access-list ect command are in place. Of course, it's not working. Can anybody give me a hint of what I'm missing, thsi is what I have so far

router bgp 65011

no synchronization

bgp log-neighbor-changes

network 0.0.0.0

network 10.10.101.0 mask 255.255.255.0

network 10.100.100.0 mask 255.255.255.0

network 192.168.101.0

network 192.168.102.0

neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as 209

neighbor x.x.x.x description Qwest CUG1

neighbor x.x.x.x capability orf prefix-list send

neighbor x.x.x.x prefix-list MRI out

neighbor y.y.y.y remote-as 209

neighbor y.y.y.y description Qwest CUG11

maximum-paths 3

no auto-summary

Thanks

Ray

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ray

I do not understand what you are trying to do. If you learn a prefix from a neighbor in AS 209 and then advertise that prefix to another neighbor in AS 209 they will reject the advertisement because their AS number is already in the AS path. This is the basic loop prevention mechanism of BGP.

If this does not answer your issue then perhaps you can clarify what you are trying to do.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

My bad,

I should have explained, each of the neighbors point to a distinct MPLS cloud. My carrier gives them the same AS which is confusing. I agree about loop prevention, but since one cloud can not communicate with another, I thought there was a way around it. guess not.. it's a unique situation,,

Thanks Rick for responding

saurav.khanna
Level 1
Level 1

The AS209 situation can work if you configure the router (Qwest CG1) with the allow local-as in feature. If it still does not work then maybe you need to review the prefix-list MRI that you are making. You can do the same with the distribute list as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card