Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP set community prepend issue

Jesse Hottle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to prepend out routes using one of my upstream providers. I was told by the ISP that I needed to do this using a set community command. In order to prepend routes to this ISP i was instructed to use as example 1234:XXX (where 1234:2 would prepend 2 times, 1234:3 three times, etc.

I added set community 1234:2 to my out going route map, but now my config shows the following:

set community 283312130 and therefore my routes are not prepending out this ISP connection.

Any one seen this before or am I just doing something incorrectly?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jesse,

You need to use the "ip bgp-community new-format" in order to see the community in the format.

The reason the prepending is not taking place has nothing to do with this though. You need to configure "neighbor x.x.x.x send-community" for the community to be sent to the peer (upstream provider in this case). Setting it in the route-map alone will not do it.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jesse,

You need to use the "ip bgp-community new-format" in order to see the community in the format.

The reason the prepending is not taking place has nothing to do with this though. You need to configure "neighbor x.x.x.x send-community" for the community to be sent to the peer (upstream provider in this case). Setting it in the route-map alone will not do it.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thank you. This resolved my issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card