Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Subcode 6 error

aneesh.ts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have been receiving the below mentioned error frequently on my Cisco Router after the WAN link(Local loop) replacement. I searched and found its a BGP Subcode 6 is described as " Configuration Change". But no idea how to eliminate it or what could be the root cause. Kindly help me eliminate the same. I am getting BGP reset and notification message almost every day after the change.

Nov 18 02:45:11.524 TOKYO: %BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: received from neighbor 10.232.0.1 6/6 (cease) 0 bytes

Nov 18 02:45:11.524 TOKYO: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 10.232.0.1 Down BGP Notification received

Nov 18 02:45:11.740 TOKYO: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 10.232.0.1 Up

IOS: c1841-spservicesk9-mz.124-8.bin

Cisco 1841 (revision 6.0) with 115712K/15360K bytes of memory.

1 Reply 1

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

1) I would try to make sure this is not a physical layer issue. The local loop certainly has changed, so I would consider this factor as the first suspect. If the physical layer is unstable, BGP will flap as a consequence of that (you need proper circuit to run BGP over it). Check this together with your circuit provider.

2) I would check the configuration on both sides. Have you made any changes to any of the routers at either side of the session (or perhaps replaced an entire router)? How often are the flaps? If they are only a couple every day, then BGP configuration is probably ok (if it were not, you would more likely not have a session at all). Check this together with your BGP peer.

3) If everything above is tested ok, you might have a bug or some other strange issue (make sure you have adequate resources for your setup, check if you are under any kind of attack or something).

Kind Regards,

M.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card