cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP to EIGRP Issues

TRACY HARTMANN
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Managed WAN and the Vendor has a Primary and a Backup router.  We run EIGRP on our Lan so they are redistribution into EIGRP.  However when they bring the backup router up the issue is it load balances because the path to the Primary and backup are the same distance.  However they are saying they are adding a distance to the backup router.  I think they are using a prepend statement on the route map.  However we never see that change.  We have a very generic eigrp setup and they say we are overwriting there change.  How do we get the metric to be greater on the backup line?

4 Replies 4

If I understood well the WAN routers are not managed by you, so the redistribution from wan to your lan is made by the provider. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The easy way is to set on the link toward the backup wan router : delay 60000.

This is an empiric answer, it would be better to post a drawing of your topology in order to see if it could be a lan issue or a redistribution issue.

Dan

Dan's suggestion would work if you are receiving the route advertised by EIGRP over that interface. But my reading of the original post suggests that the route is redistributed into EIGRP on this router. And in that case changing the delay on the interface does not change the metric of the redistributed route. There might be several ways to accomplish getting the metric to be different. But I think that the optimum solution would be to use a route map to control the redistribution into EIGRP. In the redistribution route map you can set the metric of the backup route to be higher than the metric of the primary route.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick ,

Still I am not clear about Tracy's setup. Maybe we can receive a feedback from Tracy.

If you read first 3 sentences : "Managed WAN and the Vendor has a Primary and a Backup router.  We run EIGRP on our Lan so they are redistribution into EIGRP", my mind goes to wan routers owned by the provider where the redistribution is made.

Regards

Dan

Dan

I agree that we need clarification from Tracy about the topology of the network and where the redistribution is done.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card