Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Updating Peer

opnsgreg
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings everyone,

During a cut this weekend I wanted to aggregate our class C advertisements.

The original config was

router bgp 12345

network xx.yy.zz.0

network xx.yy.za.0

The new config was

router bgp 12345

network xx.yy.zz.0/23

My reasoning was that this syntax would advertise both of our class C's. However, when the BGP session established, while I received all external routes from the upstream peer the peer received none from me. On further examination my router was not sending updates. If I returned to the original....ie not forcing a mask...it worked. So my question is, do you have to "define" the network first before either aggregating or splitting A's, B's, or C's, or is there something else I'm missing? I would also like to advertise only 3/4 of our Class B as well but had the same issues.

Thanks,

Greg

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Greg,

When u use n/w command, it will look for exact prefix in routing table until autosummary is disabled. So first u chk ur own bgp table whether the roots that u expected are there or not???

Rgs,

View solution in original post

Greg

I would suggest that you put in statics that match the prefix and mask that you want to advertise. It will work better that way.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

this is quite simple

keep the first 2 networks and add

aggregate-address xx.yy.zz.0 255.255.254.0 summary-only

Vlad

Vlad,

Thanks.....what about splitting though, ie I want to take a class B and only advertise 3/4 of it? I tried

network 123.456.0.0/17

network 123.456.128.0/18

but had the same advertisement issues (ie my router did not update the peer).

Thanks again,

Greg

Hi Greg,

When u use n/w command, it will look for exact prefix in routing table until autosummary is disabled. So first u chk ur own bgp table whether the roots that u expected are there or not???

Rgs,

Hi,

Ooh, that's making sense. The router has a static which points the entire class B to the next internal hop. So, is the best idea to turn off auto summary or replace those statics with *exactly* the same routes I want to advertise?

Thanks again,

Greg

Greg

I would suggest that you put in statics that match the prefix and mask that you want to advertise. It will work better that way.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Greg,

Even u can have a static route pointing to null0 provided if u own the whole subnet u r advertising.....

Rgs,

Thank you everyone for your replies, it really helped. I will try the statics.

Thanks again,

Greg Schaffer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card