cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bonding 2 T1s running Frame Relay

Hieu Cao
Level 4
Level 4

Our internet T1 is almost maxed out, and we're looking into adding another T1 from a different carrier. Is it possible to bind 2 T1s running Frame Relay, encapsulation HDLC and terminated in the same router?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you use the T1 for internet? There is bonding to do, you will just have a second ISP and can send some destination off one T1 or balance equally on both. That requires that you run NAT on the router itself.

Thank you for your response.

Yes, we've a T1 used for Internet. Is it possible that you can explain it in more detailed as I am not quite clear what you're referring to.

Originally, I thought that I would need to use MPPP or BGP to bind the T1s together. But I don't think that MPPP would work since I am running FR, encapsulation HDLC.

Thanks for your time and input.

hieu

Hi,

Since they are 2 providers, then you can't bond the T1s anyway, you'll have to then do load sharing or balancing between the 2 links.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks, Mohammed. Silly question to ask..but What protocol should I be using to do load-sharing between the 2 T1s from 2 different ISPs?

If the 2nd T1 is coming from the same ISP, what should I use to bind the 2 T1s?

Thanks for your time.

hieu

Hi,

Load sharing shall be done in layer 3 (routing wise), in the case of 2 ISPs.

If both T1s were from the same ISP you can do MPPP to bond them.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thank you all for your reponse.

hieu

Thank you but mine was a confusing answer.I wrote "there is bonding to do" when in fact I meant to say the opposite.

Will write slower next time.

Hi,

If both FR link will reside on the same router you can use multilink FR Multilink Frame Relay (FRF.16) so the load sharing can be take place on layer2. Here is a link to see how it works:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a0080087079.html

Or if your provider do not support it than the "old fashioned" layer3 load balancing is your choice.

Please rate if helps

Kriszti?n

Hello Krisztian,

Thank you very much for the input and the link. It's very helpful.

hieu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card