Views
Helpful
Replies

Bonding WAN Connections

Scott Hanson
Level 3
Level 3

Hello All,

I have bonded T1s together before on a router to get 3Mbps through put instead of 1.5.  Can I do the same with two 50Mbps connections from a cable Internet provider?  I think the T1s had to be provisioned specifically on the ISP side as well as configuration on the router.  So I am not sure if I could do the same on a cable circuit.

Thanks in advance!  All replies rated.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Am I correct in assuming that when you talk about bonding T1s you are actually using PPP multilink to combine them?

The 50 Mbps link from the cable provider is not running PPP and so you can not use the multilink feature on the cable connections. There is not any way to do the same kind of combining links that works on the cable connections. There are some strategies that you might use to get load sharing on both connections, but not any way to bond them so that they appear as a single connection.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

T1 bonding, MLPPP (?), is usually not used on much "faster" links.  On Ethernet, bonding might be accomplished by using Ethernet port channeling, e.g. LACP, but I don't recall MetroE vendors generally offering that, and cable modems wouldn't, I believe, support it.

However, you can often do routing load sharing across multiple paths, so you very well might be able to take some advange of a couple of cable modems using it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card