cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

boot: cannot load "flash:"

info
Level 1
Level 1

When trying to restore the settings for a brandnew Router 881, something went wrong. I can't access the router anymore on a normal way.

Using terminal i get:

Upgrade ROMMON initialized

loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0

boot: cannot load "flash:"

System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(15r)XZ5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2008 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Testing lower main memory - data equals address

Testing lower main memory - checkerboard

Testing lower main memory - inverse checkerboard

Clearing lower memory rommon use

C880 platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory

Upgrade ROMMON initialized

rommon 1 >

I can't "flash" a file, because I don't have one. It is not on the CD.

And when I look in the support site I can see it, but I can't download it. Apparently I have to pay for it. Is this correct ?

Also I can not get any support from Cisco by the phone. First I have to pay for a support contract.

Is this the way Cisco works ? Pay for every kind of support, download, ... ?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your router is brand new, you're covered by the initial warranty. This must be given to you by the reseller, and if they refuse to, by cisco TAC, they may ask for a copy for your invoice perhaps.

Problem: I am the reseller, and Cisco told me to go to the distributor. And the distributor, enforced me to take a support contract, because: "That's the way Cisco works". "No support contract? No support!"

You have assigned a cisco rep called CAM or so. Contact him/her and let know of the issue and ask to escalate. At same time talk to TAC, remember then warranty by law and ask for a case be opened with serial number. Basically, you should always entitled to support with a new item. Else,it's your right to return the item.

Sounds fishy.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No it's not. It's called "buck-passing" at it's best. The distributor needs to have a course in CUSTOMER MANAGEMENT.

I hope you have the name of the distributor who fobbed you off so you can give this to the CAM.

... And look for another distributor. They don't need your business.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card