Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot failure

alirezaradman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

when I want to boot up my Cisco 2509 router I get to the following text and the router hangs. What would be the solution to boot up normally?

Illegal IP keyword - classless

Loading c2500-i-l.120-19.bin at 0x3000040, size = 5743664 bytes [OK]

F3: 5663392+80240+424628 at 0x3000060

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is

subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph

(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted

Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph

(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer

Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems

170 West Tasman Drive

San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 12.0(19), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 07-Aug-01 00:04 by nmasa

Image text-base: 0x0302F594, data-base: 0x00001000

cisco 2509 (68030) processor (revision D) with 4096K/2048K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 02009772, with hardware revision 00000000

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

2 Serial network interface(s)

8 terminal line(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

00:00:21: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to up

00:00:21: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0, changed state to down

00:00:21: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1, changed state to down

00:00:22: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0, changed sta

te to down

00:00:22: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0, changed state

to down

00:00:22: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial1, changed state

to down

00:00:25: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Ethernet0, changed state to administrativel

y down

00:00:26: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

00:00:26: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 12.0(19), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 07-Aug-01 00:04 by nmasa

00:00:26: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial0, changed state to administratively

down

00:00:27: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Serial1, changed state to administratively

down

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alireza

If you can not get to the prompt on the console then I have two suggestions:

- I wonder if the console has been configured with no exec. If so then you could try connecting to the aux port. If you can connect to the aux port you may get a prompt and be able to login to the router. If so you may then be able to make changes in the config.

- If access through the aux port does not help then I suggest usig the password recovery procedure to reboot the router, hit break to enter rommon, set the config register to 0x2142 (to ignore startup-config during boot) and reboot. This will boot the router with an empty config and hopefully will allow you to then configure the router so that it is functional again.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

The router seems to have booted normally. Mostly it seems that you have a console connection problem which is not accepting any inputs

Try changing the serial port and the console cables as well

HTH

Narayan

Console cable works fine with other devices and there is no serial connection, I use this router for educational purposes.

Alireza

I mostly agree with Narayan that the messages that you posted do not show a faulty boot process. The one thing that looks like a problem would be this:

Illegal IP keyword - classless

and this is not really a problem. This message is generated while your router is running the boot loader (which is older than the IOS version that the router is running) and it means that the boot loader does not understand a line of config that will be correctly interpreted by the running image when it loads.

What I do see in the boot messages that may look like a problem is that both the Ethernet interface and both serial interfaces seem to have a shutdown command in the config (they go to state administratively down). So there would be no network connectivity to the router.

At the console if you hit enter, do you get a prompt? can you login to the router?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Dear Rick,

The problem is that I can not get to the prompt.

Alireza

If you can not get to the prompt on the console then I have two suggestions:

- I wonder if the console has been configured with no exec. If so then you could try connecting to the aux port. If you can connect to the aux port you may get a prompt and be able to login to the router. If so you may then be able to make changes in the config.

- If access through the aux port does not help then I suggest usig the password recovery procedure to reboot the router, hit break to enter rommon, set the config register to 0x2142 (to ignore startup-config during boot) and reboot. This will boot the router with an empty config and hopefully will allow you to then configure the router so that it is functional again.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

Thank you, I had wrongly configured the console with no exec. The problem is solved!

Alireza

The symptoms sounded like it might be no exec on the console. I am glad that your problem is resolved and that my suggestion was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your problem was solved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that they will read about what resolved the problem.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card