cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Booting Cat6500 Sup1AMSFC2 running Native IOS

jeff.vargas
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a problem booting a 6500 Sup1A MSFC2 running native IOS from bootflash:

I get an error -9 when the switch trys to read from bootflash:

The image is a little over 18megs.

Is there a known issue with this? I can't find anything regarding this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your boot statement is not correct. The boot variable should be "boot system flash sup-bootflash:c6sup12-jsv-mz.121-22.E2.bin"

Give this a try and let me know how it goes.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you seeing this in SP ROMMON or RP ROMMON? Can you attach the entire bootup sequence?

RP rommon. I can control break and then issue a boot slot0: command to get the switch up and running.

I have the line "boot system flash bootflash:c6sup12-jsv-mz.121-22.E2.bin" in my config but it doesn't want to boot the image from bootflash. When I change the configuration to read "boot system flash slot0:c6sup12-jsv-mz.121-22.E2.bin" the switch loads the IOS from slot0: and everything is fine.

So, why won't it load from bootflash:???

The image is aprox. 18.2 megs? Is there a limitation on the size of image that can load from bootflash:?

Your boot statement is not correct. The boot variable should be "boot system flash sup-bootflash:c6sup12-jsv-mz.121-22.E2.bin"

Give this a try and let me know how it goes.

Thanks, actually you are correct I either have to boot from sup-bootflash: or slot0: it is not possible to boot from bootflash: on the MSFC while running Native on the 6500. I just found an article that describes this. It was quite difficult to find this in writing.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card