Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Booting Cat6500 Sup1AMSFC2 running Native IOS

I'm having a problem booting a 6500 Sup1A MSFC2 running native IOS from bootflash:

I get an error -9 when the switch trys to read from bootflash:

The image is a little over 18megs.

Is there a known issue with this? I can't find anything regarding this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Booting Cat6500 Sup1AMSFC2 running Native IOS

Your boot statement is not correct. The boot variable should be "boot system flash sup-bootflash:c6sup12-jsv-mz.121-22.E2.bin"

Give this a try and let me know how it goes.

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Are you seeing this in SP ROMMON or RP ROMMON? Can you attach the entire bootup sequence?

RP rommon. I can control break and then issue a boot slot0: command to get the switch up and running.

I have the line "boot system flash bootflash:c6sup12-jsv-mz.121-22.E2.bin" in my config but it doesn't want to boot the image from bootflash. When I change the configuration to read "boot system flash slot0:c6sup12-jsv-mz.121-22.E2.bin" the switch loads the IOS from slot0: and everything is fine.

So, why won't it load from bootflash:???

The image is aprox. 18.2 megs? Is there a limitation on the size of image that can load from bootflash:?

Cisco Employee

Your boot statement is not correct. The boot variable should be "boot system flash sup-bootflash:c6sup12-jsv-mz.121-22.E2.bin"

Give this a try and let me know how it goes.

Thanks, actually you are correct I either have to boot from sup-bootflash: or slot0: it is not possible to boot from bootflash: on the MSFC while running Native on the 6500. I just found an article that describes this. It was quite difficult to find this in writing.

Views
Helpful
Replies