Views
Helpful
Replies

both links went down at same time but there is no power issue in router

pankajckakade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

One of my client's primary & sec. link went down & after sometime they came up. I check in router, it shows up time : ( uptime is 7 weeks, 3 days, 4 hours, 15 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload at 03:02:11 GMT Sun Feb 23 2014)

while i checked primary went down before 7 min & sec. link was in idle position

Neighbor        V           AS MsgRcvd MsgSent   TblVer  InQ OutQ Up/Down  State
10.x.y.z     4         1803     552      21    42288    0    0 00:07:21     1
10.x.y.z     4        65111       0       0        1    0    0 never    Idle

then what was the exact problem was there.

5 Replies 5

Farooq Muhammad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi pankajckakade,

is the relation on the secondry link still in idle state ? can you post the current output from the above command.

Neighbor        V           AS MsgRcvd MsgSent   TblVer  InQ OutQ Up/Down  State/PfxRcd
10.                 4         1803   11126    9927    48659    0    0 3d03h        1113
10                   4        65111    1418    1012    48659    0    0 01:25:58     1104

that issue was 3 days before. so primary is up but now sec. link is up as well but is flapping now.

my question is that if both link flapped clearly shown in prev. o/p that primary flapeed 7 min before & sec. was already down then why there was no recent uptime

The router stayed powered up it didn't get a reload as shown from the output in your first post it is the primary link which flaped once for some reason . 

ok assume primary flapped before 7 min at that time sec. was down too as it was showing 'idle'. my question is again if both link down, do router uptime changes ?

If i understand it correctly you are assuming that when the router is off the network mean to say both the links are down and is completely isolated then as per your assumption the router should renew '' the router uptime '' shown in the output of ''show version''.

The router uptime shown in the '' show version '' command has nothing to do with the link updown state of any interface , it only shows for how long the router has been in powered up state since last reload.Whether this reload was soft or hard , accidental or planned the router will show the time from last boot.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card