cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridge mode configuration in routers

rahilghaffar
Level 1
Level 1

Kindly let me know how can we do bridge mode configuration in Cisco 1841 Router .

5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Rahil

I would suggest to use feature navigator which can help you out in finding the support for the require feature in your box with the required IOS code.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

regds

Rahil

How to do it depends on what you are trying to achieve and you have not given us enough details to know what you are trying to accomplish that needs bridging on your 1841.

In the most simple situation where you have some non-IP protocol that you want to bridge you would start by creating a bridge group with the command:

bridge 1 protocol ieee

and then you enable bridging on the interfaces with the command:

bridge-group 1

If you want to bridge IP then it becomes more complicated. If you want to bridge IP on every interface you would use the commands I gave above and also this command to disable IP routing and enable bridging of IP:

no ip routing

If you want to route IP on some interfaces and bridge IP on other interfaces then you need to configure Integrated Routing and Bridging.

So if you clarify what it is that you are trying to accomplish then we can give better advice.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi RBurt:

I don't mean to intrude on this topic. But I think the author and I are may be looking for the same thing. Here's my tread below. But basically, I am looking to connect two locations using two different routers to use the same subnets, such as 192.168.1.x at both locations. Can IRB do that ?

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=WAN%2C%20Routing%20and%20Switching&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddcb89d

What is the reason you need to bridge between sites ? As long you can route, you should do that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card