cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging over a Frame-Relay PVC

palukuri77
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone explain me how to setup bridging in the attached setup. We do need to use the same set of local subnets to the new site where we are moving. We are going to take a Frame-relay PVC. Please explain me how to make this bridging work.

4 Replies 4

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Bridging across a WAN link is generally considered a bad idea. Much of your bandwidth will be consumed with maintenance traffic and unnecessary broadcasts.

If you are using a protocol that is usually not routable (like netbios), you may be able to encapsulate it in IP and route it.

What's the setup, why are you wanting to bridge?

If you are bridging routable protocols (IP, IPX, AppleTalk) then you must use the same network address block at both ends (or also implement NAT).

Good Luck

Scott

We would like to bridge IP and are aware to use the same network block at both sites.

Actually we are moving to a new location. This setup is a temporary one during the move for around 1 month and will remove this bridging setup(local PVC) once all the users are shifted. Please look at the diagram which I attached which will provide more details.

If you would only be bridging IP traffic between the sites then you can turn off ip routing in the router and need a config similar to this one.

Router_A:

int e0

bridge-group 1

int s0

bridge-group 1

bridge 1 protocol ieee

Router_B:

int e0

bridge-group 1

int s0

bridge-group 1

bridge 1 protocol ieee

Instead, if you want to bridge and route IP traffic then you need to configure IRB. This would require you to configure a BVI interface and that would route any traffic it can't bridge. Of course, you also need to add the command 'bridge (#) route ip' in addition to configuring the BVI interface. All layer 3 config would reside on the BVI instead of the WAN interface.

HTH

Sundar

Thanx for the input. My requirement is the old site will be having its WAN link and the new office will have the new WAN link installed. But if both the offices have the same lan ip addresses how will the outside world(WAN) reach them, I mean which would be best path to reach them having half of the ips in the old office(Site1) and other half of the IPs in the new office(Site2).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card