Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bridging two sites connected via ethernet

Hi,

I need to span a vlan 100 across 2 sites connected via ethernet. I am thing about using BVI.

Both sites are sharing different VLANs. How I can use BVI for this solution and not brake other connection for other VLANs ?

New vlan is 200

Old VLANs :  vlan 100 -- 10.10.10.100.1

vlan  50      10.10.50.1

vlan  10      10.10.10.1

int fa0/0  10.10.12.1                                                                 int fa 0/0

SITE 1 <---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------   > SITE 2   (  vlan 100, vlan 50,  10, 5 )

| fa0/1 10.20.1.1                                  E T H E R N ET

|

|

switch

How I should configure BVI in this design ?

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Bridging two sites connected via ethernet

Hi,

I don't think BVI is the solution as an interface can belong to only one bridge-domain. If you want to keep your L3 subnet between both sites and propagate VLAN at the same time, you should upgrade your routers at both sites to a model which support switching and routing features. The idea is to make your WAN link a trunk.s

You could also terminate your ethernet link on a L2 switch so your WAN becomes a trunk and you connect your router to it so their L3 subnet will be on a dedicated VLAN.

HTH

Laurent.

Re: Bridging two sites connected via ethernet

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Cisco 3825 router on onesite A  and a 6500 switch on site B .

The sites are connected via ethernet . I need to span a vlan with few users on site B and one user on site A.

I have an ethernet interface connecting the sites and on router site A , I have 3 other interfaces :

ethernet connecting from A to B

one connecting to backup site

another connecting to voice vlan

Other interface connecting to local switch

Any help regarding how to use this BVI ? Thanks,

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content