Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging two sites connected via ethernet

Hi,

I need to span a vlan 100 across 2 sites connected via ethernet. I am thing about using BVI.

Both sites are sharing different VLANs. How I can use BVI for this solution and not brake other connection for other VLANs ?

New vlan is 200

Old VLANs :  vlan 100 -- 10.10.10.100.1

vlan  50      10.10.50.1

vlan  10      10.10.10.1

int fa0/0  10.10.12.1                                                                 int fa 0/0

SITE 1 <---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------   > SITE 2   (  vlan 100, vlan 50,  10, 5 )

| fa0/1 10.20.1.1                                  E T H E R N ET

|

|

switch

How I should configure BVI in this design ?

2 Replies 2

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I don't think BVI is the solution as an interface can belong to only one bridge-domain. If you want to keep your L3 subnet between both sites and propagate VLAN at the same time, you should upgrade your routers at both sites to a model which support switching and routing features. The idea is to make your WAN link a trunk.s

You could also terminate your ethernet link on a L2 switch so your WAN becomes a trunk and you connect your router to it so their L3 subnet will be on a dedicated VLAN.

HTH

Laurent.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have a Cisco 3825 router on onesite A  and a 6500 switch on site B .

The sites are connected via ethernet . I need to span a vlan with few users on site B and one user on site A.

I have an ethernet interface connecting the sites and on router site A , I have 3 other interfaces :

ethernet connecting from A to B

one connecting to backup site

another connecting to voice vlan

Other interface connecting to local switch

Any help regarding how to use this BVI ? Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card