cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

broadacst on interface

csc010854800
Level 1
Level 1

i am getting broadcasts on the interfaces , is this a serious matter and how to find out the source .

Also , recently i have upgraded my link from 2 mb to 10 mb, do i need to do any changes on the interface,if no then how to find the bandwidth of the link.

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yogesh

Some broadcasts on the interface are very normal and not at all a problem. How many broadcasts, and how many input packets overall (what is the proportion of broadcast to overall packets)? This will help determine if there is something out of the ordinary and whether there is a problem.

Depending on the type of link, increasing the capacity of the link from 2 to 10 probably does not need any change on the interface. If you can provide some additional details of the interface and of the change, we may be able to give you a better answer to your question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Broadcast proportion is very less 42 broadcast in 611128 input packets.Can u tell me the reason for this.

Also , one side of my link is full-duplex (hard coded)and other is auto (hard coded )but when i see in "sh int" it is showing full-duplex at one end and half-duplex at other.When i try to change it to full-duplex, link is disconnected ,can u tell me why this happens ...

Those are ARP broadcast most probably and 42 out of 611128 input packets is normal.

Hi Yogesh,

Thats purely mismatch of duplex & speed. You need to co-ordinate with your Transmission teams to get this sorted out.

Just giving you a sceanrio.

1. End A:- 1GbE port - It should be configured as 100Mb/Full.

2. End b:- 100Mb port - It should be connected as auto-speed/duplex.

let End B port negotiate the speed/duplex on their Rx of Transceiver.

2nd point- ARP broadcast would cause any issue in link throttle.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco