cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bundling T1s with Multilink PPP

qbakies11
Level 1
Level 1

I have two remote offices that connect back to me through two P2P T1 lines (for a total of 3Mb). Currently the load balancing is done through ip load-sharing per-packet but we are looking into video conferencing so I can't use that anymore.

I want to configure multilink interfaces and bundle the serial ports and I have a question about the config on the hub router. I have configured a multilink interface before but I have never done two on the same router. Would this be the correct config?

conf t

interface multilink1

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

interface serial0/0/0:0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

interface serial0/0/1:0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

----------------------------------

interface multilink2

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 2

interface serial0/1/0:0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 2

interface serial0/1/1:0

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 2

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The interface number is what your referencing the serial interface to. Mutlilink 1 or Mutlilink 2

Does my explanation make sense?

**Update: Sorry, I just double-checked and you do need it. Sorry for the mess up. Your config looks just fine.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Under the multilink interface you don't need ppp multilink group 1, but other than that, it looks good.

Hope that helps.

Can you clarify that a bit? I thought the purpose of the 'ppp multilink group 1' statement was to define which multilink interface the multilink to which the group was tied. If I don't have that statement on those interfaces then why would I need it on the serial interfaces?

The interface number is what your referencing the serial interface to. Mutlilink 1 or Mutlilink 2

Does my explanation make sense?

**Update: Sorry, I just double-checked and you do need it. Sorry for the mess up. Your config looks just fine.

I believe you will need multilink group x to associate with each link

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: