cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Burst above cir on a serial connection

mamentt
Level 1
Level 1

I have a ds3 serial connection with at&t on 45mg line. Our cir on the serial is a "dsu bandwidth 10500". My other bandwidth statement is "bandwidth 10500"

I was told by AT&T that we can burst up to 45mg if available. Can this be done on a serial connection?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CIR really applies to frame-relay, but from your description, it's not clear if you have that or not.

If it is a clear-channel point-to-point circuit, you can take out any dsu bandwidth and fully use 45 the 45 mbps. Bandwidth statement never influence speed and is for information only.

Correct it is a ppp conection. But the at&t tech said we needed the "dsu bandwidth 10500" statement to match their

end?

They are limiting traffic toward you to 10.5 mbps, and that is a contractual aspect, that is you have to pay more to get more speed.

You can try removing the dsu statement on your side and possibly you will be able to send more than 10.5 mbps toward them, but they can still enforce the speed limitation by other means, so your excess traffic is dropped anyway.

So possibly the person that mentioned you can burst up to 45 mbps is incorrect.

Thank you for your help. I could not find too much info on the serial type connections. I will give it a try to remove the bandwith commands.

You are welcome. Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card