Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2600 config registry/password recovery help

Hi,

I am studying for the CCNA and have my own lab. Several months ago I setup the lab and hand things running well, and decided to put it all away for a while. Alas, now that I have brought it all out again, I don't remember the passwords I used and have since destroyed my documentation, so this is perfect practice at password recovery/config maintenance type of stuff.

I am working on a 2610XM. When I power on the router, I see all the information pasted below. I have tried the password recovery processes described in the cisco knowledge base where we use the rommon prompt to load 0x2142, reset, then enable secret <password> and followed the remainder of the instructions, but when I reload the router after the process, the new password I've set still does not work.

Some things that are not consistent from the documentation that I am seeing are the messages Slot is empty and WIC is empty.

I am wondering if my router does not use 0x2102 for it's load, but it will not show what it is using and I can't run show version because of the password. I am connecting through the console port and using putty to access and configure. Below is a paste of the startup messages after the router decompresses it's image. Thanks for any input here, and please treat me like a child/idiot and take any chance to teach me proper cisco community help etiquette.

ory.

Processor board ID JAD070709N9 (1997350087)

M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

SuperLAT software (copyright 1990 by Meridian Technology Corp).

TN3270 Emulation software.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

4 Low-speed serial(sync/async) network interface(s)

1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2142 (will be 0x2102 at next reload)

DOAGOOGLESEARCH#logout

DOAGOOGLESEARCH con0 is now available

Press RETURN to get started.

User Access Verification

Password:

Password:

Password:

Unexpectÿ

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C2600 platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x13e17cc

Self decompressing the image : ############################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################ [OK]

Smart Init is disabled. IOMEM set to: 30

Using iomem percentage: 30

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is

subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph

(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted

Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph

(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer

Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.

170 West Tasman Drive

San Jose, California 95134-1706

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-JK9S-M), Version 12.3(12e), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 24-Aug-05 07:51 by ssearch

Image text-base: 0x80008098, data-base: 0x81F4DADC

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

export@cisco.com.

cisco 2610XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x100) with 92160K/38912K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAD070709N9 (1997350087)

M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

SuperLAT software (copyright 1990 by Meridian Technology Corp).

TN3270 Emulation software.

1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

4 Low-speed serial(sync/async) network interface(s)

1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Slot is empty or does not support clock participate

WIC slot is empty or does not support clock participate

Press RETURN to get started!

*Mar  1 00:00:06.097: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface VoIP-Null0, changed state to up

*Mar  1 00:00:37.588: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to up

*Mar  1 00:00:37.588: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1/0, changed state to down

*Mar  1 00:00:37.592: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1/1, changed state to down

*Mar  1 00:00:37.592: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1/2, changed state to down

*Mar  1 00:00:37.592: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial1/3, changed state to down

*Mar  1 00:00:38.129: %HW_VPN-6-STARTUP: Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module0/2: starting up

*Mar  1 00:00:38.758: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/0, changed state to down

*Mar  1 00:00:38.758: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial1/0, changed state to down

*Mar  1 00:00:38.758: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial1/1, changed state to down

*Mar  1 00:00:38.758: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial1/2, changed state to down

*Mar  1 00:00:38.758: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial1/3, changed state to down

*Mar  1 00:00:39.195: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

*Mar  1 00:00:43.582: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-JK9S-M), Version 12.3(12e), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 24-Aug-05 07:51 by ssearch

*Mar  1 00:00:43.586: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host DOAGOOGLESEARCH is undergoing a cold start

User Access Verification

Password:

Password:

% Password:  timeout expired!

Password:

% Password:  timeout expired!

% Bad passwords

DOAGOOGLESEARCH con0 is now available

Press RETURN to get started.

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The login password is not the enable secret. As a student, you should easily find which password is that.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Thanks for any input here, and please treat me like a child/idiot and take any chance to teach me proper cisco community help etiquette.

You're not getting THAT from me.  We're professionals here.  We're adults here.  We don't treat anyone like a child just because he/she did something stupid or only a nubile would do.  Heck no.

We treat anyone with respect and like a professional.  If you act like an id10t, then there's an option we can use.  It's called the "Report Abuse" link on the lower right-hand corner of every post. 

You're not getting THAT from me.  We're professionals here.  We're adults here.  We don't treat anyone like a child just because he/she did something stupid or only a nubile would do.

Awright, awright, awright.  Maybe I'm one of the biggest offender.

... Ok, ok, ok.  I AM the biggest offender. 

I believe that the document that John followed focuses on changing the enable password because that is most often the password that has been forgotten and needs to be recovered. But Paolo identifies what I also noticed is that John only talks about changing the enable password when the problem he is having now is with the login password.

It can be a little tricky knowing how to fix the login password since we do not know whether the router was configured with aaa new-model which would default to doing local authentication with a user name and password or whether it is configured with aaa authentication login which might specify using the line password or perhaps something else.

I would suggest that while John is performing password recovery that he look into the existing config and determine what the router is using to authenticate login attempts. Then he will know which password to fix to be able to login.

And the 2610XM certainly does use the normal config register values of 0x2102 for normal operation and 0x2142 for password recovery.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you all for the support and helfpul comments. I didn't realize that secreet was different from the login password. I will look deeper into the config to identify what authentication method is being used for logging in. Also, Rick, thank you for confirming which register value the 2610XM uses, that saves me a lot of doubt surrounding whether or not my reset was even being applied correclty.

I'll post my results when I dig in this afternoon.

I cannot beleive I forgot that the console port is an interface like anything else. I got in, removed the password, changed registry back and copy run start, everything is cool now. Thanks again for the help! All my neurons are firing again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card