cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2950 hanging

brookanlu
Level 1
Level 1

My new 2950 switch haged when in work after mins! I think that the problem is about it's CPU cooling, how can I check cpu current temprature and compair it with normal range?

thank you.

2 Replies 2

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

use the commans Show environment cooling command.it shows the room temperature. Virtual Exec process is responsible for the vty lines (telnet sessions). And the most common reason for the high CPU utlization in the virtual exec is transferring too much data.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Unfortunately, in these small layer-2 switches there is not much environmental monitoring. But I think there must be some way to trace your problem. Have you left a terminal attached to the console port at the time of the hang, and what was that last thing it said?

If you think it is a temperature issue, when it hangs, reboot it. If it really is a temperature issue, then it would probably hang again almost immediately. If it takes the same time to hang from a hot restart as from a cold one, then it is probably not temerature related.

In my experience, hanging problems are often due to memory pool exhaustion due to some bug. Try show mem at hourly intervals and see if the buffer pools are going down.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: