Views
Helpful
Replies

C7609 Active sup720BXL become Unknow and Standby Sup become Active

r.hew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

My customer have few C7609s running as P/PE. Each C7609 are running with two sup 720BXL.

One of the C7609 Active sup (in slot 5) suddenly become Unknown and the Standby sup (in slot 6) become Active. What is the main cause of this to happen?

My customer network is a Service Provider and it's critical network, so what is the best practises for this approach to resolve this ? meanwhile given minimum interruption to my customer.

The IOS that running is version 12.2-18.SXF6 (s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF6.bin).

Please advise.

Many Thanks.

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

I believe the boot path set on your active sup 720 is not fine and may be because of some failure when it went down standby took over and earlier one which was active may have gone to rommon.

Can you console into the one which is in UNKNOWN state and update the status?

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

It's confirmed that the boot path is correct and it was being running for few months already and only recently it happens.

Yes, agreed with you that when there is a problem happened the standby will take over the active rule! and the active became Unknown or Failed.

I have not console in to the sup in slot 5 which was in Unknow state. I believed it'll be same as other router rommon state, right?

I tried to search for Cisco web page but can't find any good document on how to proceed for next steps.

Maybe you can help in providing that information or url ?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Ray

Hey Ray,

If its in rommon there can be 2 most common reason either it did not find the image to boot from the specified location OR the image which it find does not match with the boot path OR the image which it found in bootpath is corrupted.

In anycase it will either be in rommon or in a boot loop. If it is in booting loop try to hit ctrl + break key to break the loop and once it is in rommon we can try some steps to recover the same.

Check to see if this link helps you

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/14.html

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card