cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a router have 2 interface in the same subnet??

Darren Sasso
Level 1
Level 1

I'm pretty sure the answer to this is no.  I've read the routing FAQ and it states this cant be done, but is there anything creative that can be done to take 2 layer 2 connections from redundant switches that terminate into the same router and have them be on the same subnet.  On our ASA's we are able to configure a redundant interface and still enabling routing.  Is there something similar that can be done on a router?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thats is done with IRB and BVIs. However the last time I tried on voice router, it caused the phones to loose registration periodically, without apparent reason or STP activity. So caveat emptor.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.    Usage of  this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Besides what Paolo has suggested (bridging interfaces), if the router supports specific Ethernet modules, some will allow a virtual interface which you can route with.  Similarly, L3 switches support virtual interface routing.  The does allow multiple (Ethernet) interfaces on the same subnet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco