cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Enterprises act like SP, to provide isolation for each customer traffic? (Enterprises who’s backbone network is MPLS VPN links from SP)

Now a day’s trend is to get mpls vpn links from service providers & get to off-shore offices or customers. In which customer is typically using MPLS from service providers as transport medium from VPN customers prospective...where in all MPLS features are not utlizsed.

Have any one ever come cross or heard of enterprises having MPLS VPN links from services providers & they are running MPLS inside their enterprise as well. I think i am not able to pen down my query properly so pl lets go with the following example & let know or advise

Enterprise x in UK having customer A & B in US.

Enterprise x is using SP MPLS VPN links to reach to their US POP locations where customer A & B are collocated. Enterprise X is running BGP between PE & CE

Instead , of above Enterprise X decided to use end to end MPLS from POP to end of offshore location where host are connected. Can enterprise X run MPLS over service providers provided MPLS VPN links & provide VRF instance for each of their customer i.e. A & B. It will be end-to-end VRF from customer location to Core switch at offshore location

In short can Enterprise act like SP network model, whose backbone network is SP MPLS VPN Links.

If it is possible, what all points (major) need to consider while doing it?

Does it require any changes from Service providers end?

Regards

Yogesh

1 Reply 1

Robert Taylor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, with proper negotiation with the "Super Carrier".

This design is called "Carrier supporting Carrier", or CSC for short.

Here is a link that describes this environment:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0st/12_0st14/feature/guide/csc.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card