cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can i use ppp on ethernet???

CHN
Level 1
Level 1

i use a 3-layer switch to instead the router.

on WAN connetction i use ppp encapsulation protocol.

i'm confused how can use ppp on ethernet?

12 Replies 12

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi...

you can have PPP over Ethernet which is konw as PPPoE

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120limit/120dc/120dc3/pppoe.htm

look at this link so you can have clear idea

remember to rate the post, if it helps

regards

Devang

i think you misunderstand me !

ppoe is a tech ,which is used on xDSL.

There is no need to enable the encapsulation on Ethernet if you are going to replace the router to L3 switch. We normally use PPPoE in DSL but it is really the PPP connection over the Ethernet, just like the PPPoA (PPP over ATM).

You need to enable routing between interfaces in a router / VLANs in a switch.

Please state your question in specific then we can help more. Simple question get simple answer only.

hi,

let me speak it again.

i want to use a 3-layer switch to replace the Router,which connects WAN and LAN.

ppp protocol is used on the WAN.

now,the switch only has ethernet port.

i have 2 questions!

Q1.as i know ppp frame is not same as ethernet frame ,switch and remote device can't work correctly!is this right?or use PPoE?

Q2.is it flexible ,what should i configure?

i dont think so on ethernet you can have PPP frame...

regrds

Devang

topology

before:

.......|(fiber cable to serial cable,running PPP)

.......|

.....Router

.......|

......LAN

now:

.......|(fiber cable to ethernet cable)

.......|

.....switch

.......|

.......|

......LAN

1.this is large private network ,ppp protocol is runing betwteen center and branch.

2.NAT and VPN are not necessary.

Could you please advise why you insist to use PPP ? As I mentioned before, there is no encapsulation PPP under Ethernet. You only need to ensure the remote fibre connection side can support Ethernet then it is fine. It is also not related to NAT or VPN. It is the L1 & L2 issue.

End user is Ethernet LAN, L3 switch use Ethernet, remote user also use Ethernet LAN. WHY require PPP ?

Please ensure the remote side is also changed from serial to Ethernet then it is fine. Otherwise, you still need serial WAN to connect to the router.

Please clarify the technology and the requirement.

Your information still too simple, please provide more if there is question.

now i have a carzy idear ,plugging the fiber optic cable into GBIC module,and use ppp on the port.

but i look up the command reference of 3560,there is no "encapsulation ppp" command at all.it means that ppp can't be configured.

it seems that L3 switch can utilize ip routing protocols just on ethernet network only.

Q. i know ,some advanced switch (such as 65XX) are be used as gateway on large compus .

how can they do that ?

do they have WAN ports?

or they don't use WAN protocols at all?

hello CHN@.1984

first i think you will go to www.cisco.com/go/fn

and confirm your l3 switch's ios can support pppoe,

second , there're a lots of config case in cco.

would you please tell me which device you are using in order to convert the Fiber Cable connectivity to the ethernet cable connectivity... and which type of frame it generating...

regards

Devang

Hi

(1)DO you want to say that earlier there was some FO to serial converter and now its a FO to ethernet converter.

(2)Are you using same device in both the cases?

Regards

JD

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

PPP protocol is generall used for WAN connections.

If you need to do routing between 2 ports of your switch, then you need to configure inter-vlan routing whose example can be viewd in following link.

Instead on "encapsulation ppp" on your serial, you have to define "encapulation dot1q" on a switch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a008015f17a.shtml.

Hope it helps.

Pls rate all posts.

Regards

JD

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card