cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use the two GE of ISR for redundant connections?

syip
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to connect the 2 GE (the on board routing interfaces) of a 2800 ISR router to two 3750 switches in a stack to provide redundancy in case one of the switch in the stack goes. How should I configure the ISR router? I think may be I can use the backup interface; or use channel-group command or CRB command to put both GE in the same bridge group or in a GE channel. Has anyone try something similar? Please comment on feasibility, simplicity and performance if possible.

3 Replies 3

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Depending on what kind of interface the gigs are on 2800 ISR, you can have L2 redundancy or layer 3 redundancy. If the gigs on 2800 ISR supports etherchannel then you can use etherchannel whether they are L2 or L3. The 3750 supports inter-stack channeling. If the 2800 supports channeling this might be the best way to go, it will give you layer 1 redundancy and it will combine both interfaces b/w to create a logical pipe that combines both of the interfaces b/w, hence channeling. Keyword is "if" the 2800 ISR supports channeling.

Please rate helpful posts.

This is actually one of the question I am asking - does the on-board GE (L3 only) of ISR 2800 support etherchannel.

That answer is no etherchannel on built in interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/ps5855/products_qanda_item0900aecd80169bf0.shtml

Can't give you a lot of guidance on this I would be using a layer 3 routing protocol and point to point links to the 3750s. I tend to dislike any form of bridging or spanning tree.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: