cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can someone from Cisco confirm whether PPTP passthrough is broken?

tanvictor
Level 1
Level 1

Our organisation uses the PPTP variant of remote access VPN (via a Microsoft 2000 server). Our remote users are given cisco 827, 837 and most recently 877 routers for their remote access into the network via the Internet.

What we've noticed is that PPTP pass through in at least IOS versions 12.3(8YI3) and up (including all the versions in 12.4 stream) does not work.

This has forced us to delay purchasing additional 857 and 877's for our remote users. On the other hand the 827 and 837 with lower IOS versions do not exhibit the problem.

Can someone from Cisco shed some light on this?

3 Replies 3

p.krane
Level 3
Level 3

I believe 12.4 IOS versions support PPTP?. May I know the IOS versions you have loaded in all your devices?.

Also, i think there is a separate tool in Cisco for checking these compatibilities.

Hi, in the 12.4 stream, I tried the following versions on my 877 but pptp still failed to work:

12.4.6T, 12.4.2T, 12.4.2T1, 12.3.14YT, 12.3.14.YT1

Hi,

I have version 12.4(9)T

I had the same problem, I enabled access rules both inbound and outbound "... permit gre any any" and it now works

Anthony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card