Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't access applications on LAN

bericaleb
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts

I'm unable to access certain applications from the LAN sitiing behind a cisco 1841 router with the following flash flash:c1841-ipbase-mz.124-1c.bin"

I'm also unable to do Remote Desktop to servers on the lan behind this router and I'm unable to telnet to the router from a remote location. Is there anything special about these version routers? Please help.

10 Replies 10

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bernadette

My first observation is that this router is running VERY early code version in 12.4. From such an extremely early version of code it is difficult to know how many problems have been fixed or whether the symptoms that you experience are caused by this version of code. My first suggestion is to upgrade to a more recent version of code and see what happens with your problems.

Also I would oberve that without knowing how the router is configured it is difficult to know how many problems might be related to configuration issues and how many problems related to other issues. Certain application working while other applications do not work might be related to access list filtering on the router - or perhaps to some other issue. The inability to telnet to the router might be related to configuration of access-class on the vty lines or to some other issue. If you would post the configuration of the router we might be able to sort these things out better.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

I'm interested as to why I'm not able to connect remotely to applications like Remote Desktop, Telnet, Email services if there are no access-list blockage in between.There is connectivity, the fact that I can't connect is confusing me.

The configurations of the router is attached.

nothing blocking anything in the config.......

Ping and Trace to destination ?

I'm not sure what you mean by the apparently conflicting statements "There is connectivity .... I can't connect."

Is the EIGRP working correctly? If you do a show ip eigrp neighbor, can you see the neighboring router across the WAN link? Can you do a show ip route as well please: does it show the remote ip addresses you are trying to access from?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Bernadette

I have looked through the config that you posted. It is not the complete config - for example there is no configuration information for the vty ports (which makes it impossible to analyze possible problems with telnet) and there is no isdn switch type or other necessary configuration of the BRI interface. There is aaa new-model but no other aaa authentication or authorization or accounting statements. If those parts are missing it makes me wonder what else is missing that might relate to the symptoms that you describe.

I note a few unusual things about the config though I am not sure that any of them would cause the symptoms that you are having. I am surprised that you are running EIGRP and yet you have a lot of static routes. Is there a reason for that? I also note that the EIGRP has redistribute connected. But since all the interfaces have addresses that do match the network statement, I wonder why the redistribute connected is there? I wonder why there is no keepalive configured under the serial interface? In my experience no keepalive on serial interfaces is frequently a sign of problems on the serial interface. The no keepalive will maintain the interface in an up state but frequently no data is passing through it.

Perhaps you can address some of these things?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

re-attached configs. Pls have a look again.

I've tried out your second lot of suggestions, but still not getting anywhere.

Kevin

When I said there is connectivity, I meant I can and trace devices hosting these applications. But when I try to open up these applications remotely, it's timing out on the way out. EIGRP is running correctly, I can see routers across the WAN link.

attached are the show results.

Bernadette

Perhaps we need some clarification about the problems that you are having. When you attempt telnet, where are you telnetting from (what is the source address) and what are you telnetting to (is it to the router or is it to some other device)? When you attempt RDP where are you coming from (what is the source address) and what is the destination? Perhaps if we knew this we could get closer to finding an answer to your problems.

In looking at your config I notice that in this (more full) version that the vty does not have a password configured - which usually would prevent successful telnet. But then I notice that it also does not have login configured - which get around this issue. And it has aaa new-model configured which would usually make the vty look for a local user ID for login. So to clarify I would suggest that you add this to your configuration and see if it makes a difference when you telnet:

no aaa new-model

line vty 0 4

password cisco

login

Then try to telnet to the router. If you are prompted for a password use cisco as the password. Give this a try and let us know if it makes telnet work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

I've configured this line vty etc. The reason why you dont see them in the configs is because I removed it.

I'm located in a different country, where the headoffice is. I'm trying to telne to this router in a branch office which is situated in a different country. In between the headoffice and this branch office there is a Satellite service provider in between.

this satellite link connects the headoffice to the other branch office in that country. Between this branch office and the branch office which I'm having problems telneting to and RD is a Telecom LL. I can telnet and RD perfectly to the branch office A. The problem I'm facing is telneting and RD to the branch office B.

Bernadette

The first config that you posted was incomplete. I requested a complete config and you posted another config that had some additional information. But now you tell us that you removed information from that config also. If we can not get good and complete information then how can we effectively help you?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: