Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can the IOS DHCP service cover the WAN branch?

Hi, all

About cisoc IOS DHCP Service, I have 3 questions as below.

1, Can the IOS DHCP provide services over WAN. That is, I have a windows DHCP Server in the central site, does it can privide DHCP Service through WAN to the branch site, which is connected by WAN SDH lease line and cisco router; If yes , how to configure it?

2, Through Windows DHCP Service, it can provide dhcp client ip-address, mac-address and netbios-name, but used it by IOS DHCP, the command “show ip dhcp binding" just provide ip-address and mac-address, can it provide the netbios-name information by IOS DHCP service, since it's useful in troubleshooting a large LAN?

3, I have found IOS DHCP can be used with AAA accounting, by that, we can record client DHCP requesting and obtaining detail information. Am I right? Anyone can provide a sample?

Thanks

1 REPLY

Re: Can the IOS DHCP service cover the WAN branch?

1) Yes, this is possible using the ip helper address on the LAN interface of the branch office site router.

2)If you are using windows DHCP and having reverse DNS zone running with user machine join to the domain, issue the command ipconfig -a x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the user ip. You should be able to get the hostname. That is just one way there could be some other way.

3) No idea how this can done.

Views
Helpful
Replies