cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you use HWIC-4ESW to route to another network?

nat.watkins
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2801 router with two interfaces.

We want to add HWIC-4ESW to have at least 2 more routable interfaces. I understand that if you assign 1 interface to vlan 1 and and one of the other interfaces on the card to vlan 2, and assign Ip;s to the vlans you make a router out of the vlans. Does anyone know were any documentation is on web to make this work?

The built in interfaces are being used as routed ports to internet. The Vlan router will be a gateway to another network.

21 Replies 21

Here is my show vlan-switch result.

Nathaniel,

Perfect you are good to go.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks

I will try tonight.

BTW

any books you would recomend for cisco beginners

Hi,

Please do enjoy your test :)

I'll recommend the Cisco CCNA Self-Study Exam Certification Guide by Wendell Odom, its a nice book that covers many things, and it'll be a nice step if you've decided to go for your CCNA.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hello

Vlans do not want to route. I Plug laptop into vlan3 configured with 10.152.0.10/16 DG= 10.152.0.1 (vlan3 interface ip) =, but I cannot ping 10.2.114.17 remote router. I can ping 10.2.114.17. from 2801 via vlan 2.

Thanks

Hi,

Its either a typo or you have configured the wrong IP for VLAN3, from the configuration it is:

!

interface Vlan3

description SwGI-Switch

ip address 10.151.0.1 255.255.0.0

!

not 10.152.0.1.

Please let me know, and if it there is still a problem then please paste a show ip interface brief.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Sorry, vlan3 was supposed to be 10.152.0.1.

I changed that -saved running config , but it still does not route. I have a PC pluged into vlan3 set with ip of 10.152.0.10/24 DG= 10.152.0.1, but I cannot ping to 10.2.114.18 or 17.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco