cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot get T1 lease line from ATT to work, help please?

donlin123
Level 1
Level 1

We had a T1 from local bell company that has been worked for years. The local bell provides clocking for my Cisco T1 module. We had a Cisco 1700 with T1 module and here is the configuration on serial inferfaces:

Our Existing configuration (working with local bell T1):

Location A:

Interface serial 0

Description loc. A

service-module t1 clock source line

service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

service-module t1 framing esf

service-module t1 linecode b8zs

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulation ppp

fair-queue

Location B:

Interface serial 0

Description loc. B

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

encapsulation ppp

fair-queue

This weekend, we switched to AT and T. I spent 2 days but could not get the T1 to work. ATT told me that we have to provide our own clock to get it to work. The new configuration looks like this:

New Configuration:

Location A:

Interface serial 0

Description loc. A

service-module t1 clock source internal (Notice the change)

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulation ppp

fair-queue

Location B:

Interface serial 0

Description loc. B

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

encapsulation ppp

fair-queue

We could not get the new T1 to work with this configuration(s0 line protocol is down). I wonder someone has worked with ATT before and know how to nsupply the clock to the line. I need to get this work ASAP since today is the first working day after long weekend. Please help!!!!!!!

10 Replies 10

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Donald

What you have configured is generally the way to provide clocking for a circuit. I do not know why it would make a difference, but have you tried making location A clock source line and making location B clock source internal?

Am I understanding that it is the same router, same interfaces as was working before? This would suggest that it is not a hardware issue on the router. I would suggest that you check the cabling at both sites. Make sure that the cables are properly connected on both sites (and that they are connected to the correct devices). If possible you might try connecting with a different cable. Have you tried doing any loopback testing?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Everything(router, T1 module and cables)(worked before with the local bell company's T1. All we did is simply move from local bell's jack and ATT's jack.

Try this too:

location A clock source line and making location B clock source internal. Still not work.

The only thing I haven't try is:

location A clock source internal and making location B clock source internal.

But I don't think the above will work at all.

Hi,

You only provide clock into a side only, not both.

But, that is not the real problem, most likely AT&T has not finished the work, the circuit is incomplete hence not working, despite they swearing the contrary. Have them come onsite with their own equipment and prove in front of you that is working. They need to come into a site only, the other can be put in loopback.

Donald

I agree with Paolo that it makes good sense to ask AT&T to come on site and test and demonstrate that the circuit is working.

I also think it would be good to check the cabling, make sure that everything is connected securely and connected into the right things.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

As both Paolo and Rick have already said ATT is not done, what may be truly happening is ATT is done but the local lec is not. ATT has all their cross connects done but it may not be clean all the way through.

The only way to prove this is to have a local dispatch done and test all the way to the other end via loop. I would have ATT on the phone while testing and have them also put in loops with you, testing from your router to the last loopable point in the circuit.

Bottom line, your config is correct. It is not working until they prove to you that it is.

It is not working until they prove to you that it is

These words should be engraved by law on any device connected to telco services.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Its strange that the carrier says "you provide clock" generally you get clock from the line side.

di you try both with clock source line?

I tried the first three options. ATT insisted that my router needed to provide "clocking" and refused to come to my site to run end-to-end testing.

Everything worked before I moved the cable from the local bell's jack to ATT's jack.

Option 1: (Tried, Does not work with ATT circuit but works for 5 years with the previous provider)

Location A

Location B:

Option 2: (Tried. Does not with ATT circuit)

Location A

service-module t1 clock source internal

Location B:

Option 3: (Tried, Does not with ATT circuit)

Location A

Location B:

Option 4: (Not Tried)

Location A:

Location B:

Many thanks to all the people who provided replies so far!

if this is a circuit that is going from site a to site b then one side has to provide clocking and the other will receive. This part you had correct.

Having ATT not come onsite to verify is not the answer you need to settle for.

Contact your account rep and escalate the issue with them. Tell them of the problem you are having and give a time frame to complete. If they do not want the business there are a lot of other providers who will charge a lot less and provide better service. I switched to Qwest for all my sites, 100+ because of this very reason, the ATT customer support and service is very poor.

The issue you may find is that since this is not a billable circuit because it is not up and running you may find some difficulty in getting a tech, but do not let that stop you from asking.

My suggestion is to tell the account rep that you have tried to install the new service and it does not work end to end. Tell them you want a tech to come on site to test with ATT tech and yourself to isolate the issue. Start with the account team first. It is money to them.

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

Is the ATT jack a smart jack, punch down block, or biscuit? If a smart jack what do the lights look like? If a patch or biscuit is it pinned out (1,2,4,5) correctly?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card