Helpful
Replies

cannot issue ospf "neighbor" command with NBMA interface

vhsieh
Level 1
Level 1

I config my E0/0 Interface with

"ip ospf network non-broadcast" command,

I want this interface to use unicast to hello neighbor.

As I issue "neighbor x.x.x.x" under ospf process, it told me that:

OSPF: Neighbor command is allowed only on NBMA and point-to-multipoint networks

I am sure that there are no any typo, and show ip ospf interface e0/0 says it's been an NBMA interface, so what's wrong with this router?

IOS information:

(C3620-J1S3-M), Version 12.3(18), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

7 Replies 7

yan.yong
Level 1
Level 1

i don't kouw the current answer .but i think the router maybe not support this config on ethernet interface ,or you try to config the e0/0 to other mode .

i've tried every type of ospf network interface, and it didnt work.

no matter which interface type i configured, or left it default, i still cannot issue neighbor under ospf process.

Hello,

I am almost certain that this is an IOS bug, I think I have seen this on other 12.3 trains. Can you try and upgrade/downgrade your IOS, and see if that problem persists ?

Regards,

GNT

thank you for your answer Roberto

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

It should take it. but make sure that the x.x.x.x is the address where you made it, NBMA. Just make sure. If that is confirmed that there is no mistake there, try bouncing the interface. And at worst case scenario reload the router. The router seems to not recognize that the interface network type had been changed to NBMA.

Maybe CSCse72792 if you have VL configured.

or

Maybe CSCsd47131 if you configured neighbor before making the interface NBMA, then realized and made the interface NBMA but the system now keeps rejecting the command.

Those two have release notes you might be able to view them.

I think I know what's the problem.

I previously configured VL to the neighbor peer. I took it away then I had no issue to put neighbor command under ospf process.

Sure, I could still command VL under ospf process.

But I dont know the reason why I cannot configure VL before Neighbor?

I was facing the same issue and above recommendation resolved it.

Thanks for providing valuable input.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco